The Power of Moringa Leaves, Drumsticks & Nature
This is a pic of Harshala and me enjoying a glass of moringa juice. 5 grams of pure moringa powder stirred into water.
The Moringa / Sehjan project –
Do you know what moringa is? Besides becoming an overpriced superfood flooding the U.S, U.K, European, Amsterdam market and other countries, this simple looking plant finds itself growing abundantly in our country. In South India people use the drumsticks in Sambar and other vegetable preparations, but not many look at the power of nutrients in the leaves that can help with anaemia, immunity, the health of malnourished children and pregnant women, not just in rural areas but in urban cities as well.
Yes! There is malnourishment in the young and old in urban cities as well because of poor lifestyles and replacement of wholesome meals with junk, processed and cuisines that are not local to our geography.
Harshala, my dietician and I have been extensively working with the director of IHI (Institute of healthcare improvement) U.S who in turn has been working with Care India, an NGO empowering women and girls of India. The district manager of Gopalganj, Animesh Kumar Parashar (IAS) leads this initiative, along with the help of Rajesh Kumar (Deputy secretary, Department of Health) to improve health and nutrition, combat anaemia and malnutrition across women and children and aim for healthier pregnancies.
We have been using moringa for years with patients across the globe and since this simple beautiful tree grows abundantly in India, this amazing team has been teaching villagers how to grow this and use the leaves and drumsticks in their cooking preparations. As we continue to research this amazing leaf and plant, here are some of the amazing benefits :
Please educate your house help, drivers, yourselves to use this amazing plant which can add to evryones health and well being. We will share more recipes and ways to use the same —
Moringa- the Nutritional Secrets
- Moringa oleifera has also promoted by World Health Organization (WHO) as an
alternative to imported food source to treat malnutrition
- Research report says that dry leaves of Moringa oleifera contain 9 times proteins than
yogurt, 10 times vitamin A than carrot, 25 times iron than spinach, 15 times potassium
than bananas, 17 times calcium than milk and 7 times more vitamin C than orange.
- The leaves of M. oleifera are rich in minerals like calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, iron and copper.
- Vitamins like beta-carotene of vitamin A, vitamin B such as choline, folic acid,
pyridoxine and nicotinic acid, vitamin C, D and E are also present in M. oleifera.
- Phytochemicals like sterols, tannins, trepenoids, saponins, alkaloids, phenolics and
flavonoids like isoquercitin, isothiocyanates, quercitin, kaemfericitin, and glycoside
compounds are present in it.
Various amino acids like Histamine, Arginine, Tryptophan, Lysine, Threonine,
Phenylalanine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Methionine, Valine are present. Moringa oleifera
leaves contain an array of amino acids making it particularly beneficial for vegans and
vegetarians to get a sufficient protein supply.
- Moringa leaves treat hyperglycaemia, asthma, flu, heart burn, dyslipidaemia, malaria,
syphilis, diarrhoea, pneumonia, scurvy, headaches, bronchitis, skin diseases, eye and ear infections. Also reduces blood pressure and cholesterol and acts as an anticancer,
antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-atherosclerotic, ant diabetic agent and a neuroprotectant.
- Moringa has also been observed to be an effective treatment against a wide array of liver
diseases, such as both chronic and acute hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, fatty degeneration of the liver, and the metabolic liver disease brought about by alcohol and drug abuse. This is because moringa not only stops the toxicity that causes these diseases, but also helps reverse it.
- Helps in lowering blood sugar levels. The effect may be induced by glucoside and fiber
contents that are present in moringa leaf powder.
- Moringa powder is rich in vitamin A and zinc that encourages hair to grow and keep
it in good condition. In addition, moringa powder is rich in B vitamins, C and E, biotin,
and inositol that provide nutrients to help improve scalp circulation and maintaining
capillaries that carry blood to the follicles.
- Moringa might have some activity of galactagogue – an agent that induces milk secretion
A single serving of Moringa contains about 3x the iron of spinach. Iron is essential to
enriching the blood, carrying life, energy and oxygen into our muscles, organs and
- Moringa fights against fatigue by providing iron and vitamin A to the human body. Iron
is very useful for the prevention of fatigue in our body
- Moringa helps to maintain healthy skin and prevent aging as it is rich in vitamin A and
vitamin E. Vitamin A is necessary for healthy, radiant skin and vitamin E protects cells
from oxidative stress helping to fight the signs of aging. Antioxidants are essential for
protecting, repairing and preventing cell damage, minimizing the aging process of the
They help counteract oxidative stress and the effects of free radicals. Free radicals
are unstable molecules that damage collagen, causing skin dryness, fine lines, wrinkles
and premature aging.
- Moringa also contains cytokines and zeatin which is known to delay ageing in humans.
- Moringa benefits have super immune-boosting powers that help body cells stay strong
and fight germs. Moringa leaves are full of iron and vitamin A, and in this case, both are
essential for the normal function of the immune system.
- Oleifera are powerful and natural adaptogen which not only help the body cope with
stress but can enhance general health and performance.
- Moringa is a great source of vitamin A which contributes to the right nutrition in order to
maintain normal visual function
- Moringa oleifera leaves are a rich source of vitamin K, protein and calcium: all of which
support normal bones.
- It also contains the amino-acid tryptophan, which improves neurotransmitter function. Tryptophan is sought out by many as its the neurotransmitter that secretes serotonin, our “happiness” hormone.
As little as a tsp of moringa powder added to water or the leaves cooked into a vegetable or the drumsticks inner pulp consumed can begin the process of adding health and nutrition to your life and everyone around.
( Please Note : Always consult your doctors before trying anything especially if pregnant.)