An Integrative Nutritionist’s Favourite Beverages For Brain HealthLuke Coutinho
The human brain is far more complex than any other organism on Earth. Our brains comprise an arsenal of 86 billion neurons and glial cells. Each neuron has branch-like projections called axons and dendrites, which receive and transmit electrochemical signals to communicate with adjoining neurons, whereas the glial cells provide protection to neurons and help keep the brain healthy. This information highway works continuously from the time the brain is formed. Our day-to-day food choices and lifestyle continually influences what’s going on inside our brains!
By the way, did you know our brain weighs only about 2% of our average body weight but consumes 20% of our metabolic energy? Certain foods that we eat help to nourish the brain, support brain cell regeneration and help it to perform optimally. This stands true for all people, young and old. While some of these nutrients may be readily available for the brain through the body, we must source the rest from our daily nutrition. Here are some lip-smacking beverages for not just you, but children as well as senior citizens, which are not only super delicious but the kind your brain will thank you for, in kind!
Brain Detox Smoothie
- 1 cup Coconut water
- 1 tbsp Flax Seeds
- 1 tsp Chia seeds
- 1 tsp Acai berry powder
- 1 tsp unsweetened raw cacao nibs
- 1/4 tsp Spirulina powder
- ½ cup unsweetened Almond milk
- 1 tsp raw unpasteurized honey
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender. Mix for 1 minute. Enjoy chilled
- Raw cacao nibs have mood and mind-boosting properties.
- Flaxseeds and chia seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for cognitive development.
- Berries are rich in antioxidants which curb free radicals affecting brain cells.
- Almonds are rich in magnesium, a relaxing mineral.
- Spirulina has neuro-protective properties.
Refreshing Cacao Smoothie
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp dried Goji berries
- 30ml aloe vera juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Medjoul dates
- Water as required
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender. Mix for 1 minute at high speed. Enjoy!
- Goji berries stimulate nerve growth in the brain and support memory.
- Aloe vera reduces inflammation and oxidative stress in the body.
- Dates impart natural sweetness to the drink while lowering inflammatory markers responsible for conditions like Alzheimer’s.
- Pure almond butter is mood regulatory and great for memory.
- ½ avocado
- 1 tsp virgin cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 handful green leafy vegetable (Spinach/kale- blanched)
- 4-5 walnut halves (soaked overnight)
- 1/4th tsp Brahmi powder
- Water as required
- 2 tbsp blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Blend all ingredients (except) blueberries in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass and top it with chopped fresh blueberries or thawed and gently mashed frozen blueberries.
- Avocados are rich in MUFA that nourishes the brain.
- Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals. It supports cell regeneration.
- Coconut oil is rich in MCT, an easily absorbable source of energy for brain cells.
- Green leafy vegetables protect the neurons.
- Walnuts are shaped like the brain and are packed with healthy fats and antioxidants.
- Brahmi is an age-old herb used in Ayurveda for different brain disorders and to improve memory.
- 1/4th tsp turmeric
- 2-3 whole black peppercorn
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp date palm jaggery
- Boil all the ingredients (except date palm jaggery and cayenne pepper) in 1.5 cups of water for 4-5 minutes, reduce to 1 cup. Strain it. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and date palm jaggery and sip lukewarm.
- Turmeric is a medicinal herb rich in curcuminoids which increases neuron life and delays brain aging.
- Black pepper helps in better bioavailability of the curcumin.
- Rosemary helps to improve concentration and focus.
- Capsaicin in cayenne pepper helps to reduce any pain and releases dopamine.
Include at least one of these beverages as a mid-meal regularly to reap the benefits. You can adjust the quantities for each of the drinks as per your taste preference.
Let’s get mixing and let’s give the brain wonderful treats it deserves to keep it going razor sharp.
Need help to reach your wellness goals? We help you find a way. Be a part of a personalized You Care Wellness program that revolves around YOU and work one-on-one with our integrative team of experts. Speak to our wellness consultants on 1800 102 0253 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to know more.
Why Choose You Care Wellness?
Because we help you find a way
- Luke Coutinho
Our You Care wellness programs are designed around the five fundamental intelligent systems within the human body involved in prevention, recovery, and rebuilding. Every program and protocol after a thorough diagnosis and prognosis is built around - Angiogenesis, DNA repair, Immunity and Inflammation, the Gut Microbiome, and Stem Cell Regeneration. Our approach involves using food synergy and deep cellular nutrition, exercise, sleep, and enhancing emotional wellness and lifestyle.
Our You Care wellness program respects the uniqueness of a person and works with an understanding that no one shoe fits all. Every program and journey is personalized according to the person's past and present lifestyle, ailment/disease, symptoms, and root causes. In integrative and lifestyle medicine, we focus on addressing the root cause of the problem and work to manage the side effects of medications and treatments that may cause secondary problems, issues, and discomfort. While symptoms are being treated, root causes must be addressed, and rebuilding with a focus on future prevention is important. On this journey with us, you have a team of highly trained nutritionists, clinical dietitians, allopathic doctors, yoga therapists, life coaches, and certified emotional counselors that will be assigned to your case according to your condition, if required.
Every disease requires this approach, from a simple case of acne to a rare syndrome, cancer. We help you find a way.
Our programs in no way guarantee you a cure or miraculous healing. We will never sell you anything in that light. We believe in a structured approach, knowledge, research, wisdom, and years of experience coming together to assess you and your condition as a unique one and plan your protocol along those lines.
We are not a replacement for your medical team and will never suggest otherwise unless we feel that your current medical approach is ineffective and dangerous to you.
We put care, love, respect, and understanding in our approach and design healthcare around the person first and then the disease. It is our commitment to simplifying health and lifestyle. We want to make wellness more enjoyable and wonderful, instead of horrible.
We commit our best to everyone who comes to us and while we can't always promise the result, we always promise to be there for you and give it our all to you, your family, loved ones. Our only hope is for you to get better and live a happier and healthier life.
A cure is not possible for many illnesses, but we firmly believe that there is always room for healing. Healing can be experienced as acceptance of illness and peace with one's life. This healing, we believe, is at its core - spiritual. Healing can comprise acceptance, letting go, the forgiveness of oneself or others, seeing with a different perspective, hope, faith, belief, prayer, and so much more. Healing is never someone making a promise to you that you will get better by selling you a special medicine, supplement, chant, prayer, magic stones, magic oils, and so on. Healing and recovery are different. In our experience, we see dying patients who start to heal, and sometimes as they heal the past and present, their condition can improve, sometimes, nothing happens, but the patient gets emotionally happier and stronger as they heal at all levels even if the disease cannot be cured.