D.I.Y Scrubs and Masks – Monsoon Special
As seasons change, our skin and hair quality also keep changing in response to the weather. In winters, our skin tends to get dry whereas in summer it remains moist. Similarly, many people experience hair fall and breakouts during monsoons.
Here are some natural, simple and inexpensive remedies that can help look after your skin, face and body through this monsoon season. They are easy to make with ingredients that are probably already lying in your kitchen and can save you from all the chemicals that most cosmetics and creams have!
- Body scrubs
- 2 tbsp organic coffee powder, 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, one whole lemon juice and 1 tbsp sugar (crystals). Mix well and scrub your body gently for 10-15 mins. Wash and bathe. This works as a great exfoliant and helps remove dead cells and debris, giving your skin a fresh look.
- Half cup neem juice and 1-2 tbsp rice powder. Mix and apply. Leave for 5-10 mins and bathe as usual. This is a great antibacterial and antifungal body scrub that can prevent skin infections.
- Body powder
- Half cup organic corn starch, 1 tbsp baking soda, 2 drops of tea tree and peppermint essential oil. Mix well and use as talcum powder for private areas and under arms.
- Face scrub:
- 1 tsp amla powder, 1 tsp rice flour, 1 tsp curd. Mix and gently scrub the skin for 10 mins, leave on for 10 mins then wash off.
- Half kiwi, one tsp sugar and 1 tsp coffee powder. Gently scrub for 10 mins and then wash off.
- 1 tbsp masoor dal (lentil) coarsely grounded powder soaked in 2 tbsp curd for 10-15 mins. Gently scrub the skin for 10-15 mins leave on for 10 mins and then wash.
- Face mask: All face masks can be kept for 20-30 mins then wash with warm water
- 2 tbsp mashed avocado and 2 tsp honey. Mix well and apply on face as well as neck.
- 1 tbsp besan (ground gram flour), ¼ tsp turmeric and 1 tbsp A2 milk yogurt. Mix and apply on face. Once it dries up, try to massage gently and remove dried peels which may help in removing unwanted facial hair as well. It works like the ancient ubtan.
- 2 tsp hibiscus powder mixed in a tsp of pure aloe vera gel and a tsp of lemon juice. This works like a natural Botox.
- Hair Mask:
- Guava leaf concoction:
- Take 2 cups water + 4-5 dried guava leaf. Boil till the water reduces to half, cool and strain. You can add 2-3 tbsp mashed avocado or 2 tbsp hibiscus powder to this.
- Massage this concoction on your scalp and all across the length of your hair with fingers.
- Apply it all over your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for 1-2 hours and wash as usual.
This is great to arrest hair fall and giving dull and limp hair some volume, bounce and shine.