A nourishing and filling soup for pregnant mothers.
- 8-10 almonds soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 1/2 small potato boiled/sweet potato and mashed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp pure A2 ghee
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp pureed peas or finely chopped
- steamed broccoli stems
- 1 bay leaf
- a few mint leaves/coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1-2 tbsp sattu powder (roasted chana powder)
- salt to taste
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the bay leaf and immediately add the chopped onions, pureed peas / broccoli and grated ginger.
- Sauté on low heat till soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, peel the soaked almonds and run through a blender with a little water to make a smooth paste.
- Add the almond paste, salt, mashed potatoes, sattu powder and half the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook on low heat while stirring continuously.
- Add extra stock as needed to make a creamy soup.
- Season with salt and white pepper powder if required. Serve warm and garnish with mint leaves.
- Relish and enjoy the creamy nutty soup with the extra boost of protein.
- Broccoli is a potent source of Vitamin A and folic acid. This helps the mother maintain strength during the fragile first and last trimester.
- Almonds are rich in good fats, vitamin E and protein
- Sattu serves as an energy booster, adds to protein requirement and rich in trace minerals.
Download PDF: Almond Soup