Rice Modak (savoury)Luke Coutinho
Ingredients for outer layer:
- 1 cup rice flour
- 5 cups water
- 1-2 teaspoon A2 cow ghee
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling:
- Grated coconut 4 tsp
- Pre-soaked and cooked whole moong dal /steamed sprouts 1/2 cup
- A2 cow ghee 3 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt for taste
For the stuffing:
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add grated coconut.
- It takes about 10 to 15 minutes for the mixture to dry on low flame.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well. (sprouted and boiled whole moong or steamed sprouts).
- Add salt and jeera powder.
- Stir every 2 to 3 minutes.
- You can add more ghee if the stuffing becomes too dry.
Making the modaks:
- In the same pan, heat the water along with ghee and pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Now cook this mixture on very low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now switch off the flame and cover this pan with a lid for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now take this dough in a big bowl or plate.
- Allow to cool till the temperature you can handle to knead.
- Dip you palm in cool water and knead the hot dough very well.
- If dough looks hard or dry, then add a little warm water and continue to knead dough till completely smooth.
- Rest the dough covered with a damp cloth.
- Take a small ball of dough and roll thinly between hands, stretching the dough with fingers to a disc of about 3-4 inches diameter.
- Keep the dough disc on you palm and add the sprouts filling in the centre.
- Pinch the edges of the circular dough disc to make protruded edges.
- Bring together all the folds in the centre shaping like a momo.
- Use a steamer to steam the modaks for 10-15 minutes or till done.
- Drizzle a few drops of ghee on the modaks and serve them hot.
- To make colourful modaks, add pureed spinach or beetroot puree to the rice flour.
- Vary the stuffing of your choice by adding few dry fruits, sesame seeds too.
- Knead the dough well adding required amount of water and ghee till it forms smooth dough.
- If the modaks break while you are pressing and creating cup, do not worry. Sprinkle water and ghee and knead well.
- Wet your hands with water before you start preparing modaks, else it will stick to your hand.
- Rice flour is rich in amino acids, fibre, vitamins (B-vitamins) and nutrients such as calcium and zinc.
- Coconut helps to improve digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- Sprouts rich in protein, antioxidants, phytochemicals, bioflavonoids, vitamins and minerals.
- Enjoy the savoury/sweet delicacy of the nutrients rich modak this festive season.
Want to try the sweet version, click here : https://lukecoutinho.com/blog/recipe-corner/rice-modak/
Rice Modak PDF Download: Rice Modak
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
Leave a Reply