Yellow Moong Dal DhoklaLuke Coutinho
- 1 cup yellow moong dal, soaked overnight (12-14 hours )
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp ginger- green chili paste
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cold pressed peanut oil/ coconut oil or organic ghee for greasing the dhokla plates
- A sprig of curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2-3 chilies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil.
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the moong dal paste and rest of the Ingredients. Mix it well to form a batter. If it seems too thick, add water little by little till you get a pouring consistency batter.
3. Add water to dhokla steamer and put it on high heat. Grease the plates on which you will pour the batter.
4. When steam starts forming in the steamer, lower the heat to medium. Pour the batter into the greased plates and place them inside the steamer. Cover and steam for 15-20 mins. Adding lemon drops to the batter allows natural fermentation and makes it soft and fluffy)
5. When done, take off the lid. Take the plates out. Set aside to cool ,while you prepare the tempering.
6. Heat the oil for tempering. When hot, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, green chilies and curry leaves. When it splutters, add the red chili powder. Take it off gas and spread the tempering over the Dhokla.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and/or grated fresh coconut. Serve with green chutney.
- Yellow moong dal is a source of perfect plant protein which in combination with rice flour completes its amino acid profile and becomes a complete protein. Adding one tbsp rice flour to it also makes it easier to bind .
- Yellow dal is easily digestible and doesn’t leave you feeling heavy or bloated as gram flour would.
- It makes a perfect evening snack as well as a kid-friendly tiffin item.
DOWNLOAD PDF: Yellow-moong-dal-dhokla
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
Leave a Reply