Time to replace those cheesy and sugary dips with healthy and easy varieties. Here are our top 5 recipes to satiate those evening hunger pangs (if you are genuinely hungry that is!)
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro OR parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 large lime, juiced (about ¼ cup lime juice)
- Rock Salt to taste
- In a serving bowl, combine the prepared mango, bell pepper, onion,
- cilantro/parsley and jalapeño. Drizzle with the juice of one lime and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt. For best flavour, let the salsa rest for 10 minutes or longer
- ¼ cup cashews
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup basil leaves
- Few sprigs of parsley/celery for garnishing
- Rock salt to taste
Blend all ingredients into a smooth paste and garnish it with parsley or celery
Minty Pea Dip
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (reserve some zest for garnish)
- Rock salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- If using fresh peas: Bring a small pot of water to boil, add the peas and cook for 1
minute. Strain and plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking.
- If using frozen peas: Defrost peas overnight in refrigerator.
- Place blanched or defrosted peas in a small food processor with mint, lemon zest
- and juice. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Sweet Potato Hummus:
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks. Cook in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender. Mash with a potato masher and set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to a food processor.
- Add the cooled mashed sweet potato, water, freshly squeezed lemon juice, tahini, garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired, alongside pita or naan bread and sliced vegetables.
Mayo herbed Dip
- Hung curd – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Powdered jaggery: ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice: 1tsp
- Crushed garlic – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Mixed herbs- 1 tsp
- Take an empty bowl and place the strainer on top.
- Double a kitchen cloth and put it on the strainer.
- Pour the curd in the cloth, hold up the ends of the cloth and squeeze it gently.
- Once the water starts draining out, keep it back on the strainer and refrigerate this for 6-8 hours.
- Take 2 tablespoons of hung curd in a bowl and then add the powdered sugar to it.
- Add salt according to taste.
- Add crushed garlic and olive oil.
- Add crushed pepper and mixed herbs according to taste.
- Mix well.