Morning Sickness TeaLuke Coutinho
Nausea and vomiting are common discomforts for a pregnant mother. It is a feeling similar to that of a hangover, but happens without a drop of alcohol! For some mothers, it lasts only for the initial few months of pregnancy and for some, throughout the pregnancy.
Well, if pregnancy nausea is dampening your mornings, here is a simple tea that can help soothe this sickness. The antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory property of peppermint reduces the tendency to feel nauseous, while ginger helps with controlling vomiting and feelings of giddiness. With every sip of this tea, you will feel that sick feeling slipping away.
- ½ tablespoon of dried peppermint leaves or fresh peppermint leaves OR 2 – 3 teaspoons of fresh organic lemon balm or dried lemon balm
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup of water
- Raw honey to taste
- Boil one cup of water in a saucepan.
- Add ½ tablespoon of the dried peppermint leaves and ¼ teaspoon of grated ginger in the boiling water.
- Allow it to boil for two minutes.
- Turn off the gas and allow it to steep.
- Strain it into a cup.
- When it is warm enough to be sipped, add raw honey as per taste.
- Sip the tea slowly.
- You can replace peppermint leaves with lemon balm leaf too, in case peppermint does not suit you.
- Lemon balm tea has a soothing and calming effect on the body and helps ease digestion too.
- Consuming ginger in moderation during pregnancy can help the body to absorb nutrients more efficiently by stimulating gastric and pancreatic enzymes.
- Lemon (or ginger or peppermint) essential oils can also be sniffed in case brewing a tea is not possible. Simply rub a drop between your palms, and then inhale this whenever nausea hits.
- Please check with your doctor or OB/GYN before adding any new food item into your nutrition plan.
Also read: Tips for Dealing with Morning Sickness During Pregnancy
Download PDF: Morning Sickness Tea
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
Leave a Reply