Modak: Modern day dessert dumpling with the traditional heritage touch.Priyanka Vithlani
Modak: Modern day dessert dumpling with the traditional heritage touch.
- Cooking pan
Ingredients for outer layer:
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tsp A2 cow ghee
- 1 pinch pink Himalayan salt
For the filling:
- 1.5 cup fresh coconut grated
- ½ cup powdered jaggery
- 3 - 4 cardamom elaichi pods/seeds (powdered)
- 1 tsp rice flour
- 1 tsp A2 cow ghee
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds roasted
- 5 almonds soaked, sliced and chopped
- 6 - 7 pistachios unsalted and sliced, optional
- Combine grated coconut, ghee and powdered jaggery in a pan.
- Cook on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Make sure that you do not overcook the mixture.
- Add the roasted poppy seeds, grounded cardamom, nutmeg powder and other remaining filling ingredients.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat the water along with ghee and pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Now cook this mixture on very low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and cover this pan with lid for 4-5 minutes.
- Now take this dough in a big bowl or plate.
- Allow to cool till the temperature you can handle to knead.
- Dip your palm in cool water and knead the hot dough very well.
- If the dough looks hard or dry, then add a little warm water and continue to knead the dough till completely smooth.
- Rest the dough and cover with a damp cloth.
- Take a small ball of dough and roll thinly between hands, stretching the dough with fingers to a disc of about 3-4 inches diameter.
- Keep the dough disc on your palm and add the sweet modak filling in the centre.
- Pinch the edges of the circular dough disc to make protruded edges.
- Bring together all the folds in the centre shaping like a momo.
- Use a steamer to steam the modaks for 10-15 minutes or till done.
- Drizzle a few drops of ghee on the modaks and serve hot.
- One can vary the stuffing by adding a few dry fruits, sesame seeds too.
- It’s important to knead the dough well and if required, add water and ghee till it forms smooth dough.
- If the modaks break while you are pressing and creating the cup, do not worry. Sprinkle water and ghee, knead well.
- Wet your hands with water before you start preparing modaks, else it will stick to your hand.
- Rice flour is rich in B- vitamins, fibre and nutrients such as calcium and zinc.
- Jaggery helps prevent constipation, stimulates the release of digestive enzymes and boost haemoglobin levels
- Coconut adds good fat and makes the dessert balanced and helps to improve digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
My children loved making this recpie
Lovely to know that! Do share pictures with me and my team on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/youcare_by_luke.coutinho/