Alu Vadi – Pelting Mumbai rains call for the most comforting tea time snack -Alu vadi a perfect tea time match.Priyanka Vithlani
Alu Vadi - Pelting Mumbai rains call for the most comforting tea time snack -Alu vadi a perfect tea time match.
- Sharp knife
- 6 large fresh colocasia leaves arvi/arbi/taro leaves
- 200 g chickpea flour besan
- 50 g rice flour
- 50 g sattu flour
- 2 tsp ground cinna
- 1 tsp immunity powder
- 2 tsp ground ceylon/srilankan cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 2 green chillies optional
- 5 tbsp fresh tamarind pulp
- 100 g jaggery powder
- 500 ml water
For the tempering
For the tadka:
- 1 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil or unrefined mustard oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves to garnish.
To prepare the colocasia leaves:
- Begin by wiping the colocasia leaves .
- Clean with a damp kitchen towel.
- Clean both sides thoroughly.
- Use a sharp knife to laterally trim the thick spine that runs down the leaf.
- Simply run the knife across the stalk to flatten it so it feels flat to the touch.
- Continue this process for all of the veins that branch out from the centre.
- Repeat the trimming for all the leaves.
To make the batter:
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpea flour, rice flour,sattu flour , ground cinnamon, immunity powder, ajwain,ground fennel seeds, ground cumin seeds, chilli powder, and salt .
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the grated ginger, green chilli paste, tamarind and jaggery powder.
- Slowly add the water, whisking all the time to ensure a smooth paste is formed without lumps.
- Continue whisking for 5 minutes until the paste is smooth.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- To assemble the Alu Vadi-
- Organise the colocasia leaves by size.
- The assembly process will begin with the largest leaves to the smallest leaf.
- Take the largest colocasia leaf and lay it (dull side up) out on a clean, flat surface.
- Top with a large spoonful of batter.
- Use a rubber spatula, or your hands to spread the batter over the leaf.
- Take the second largest leaf and place it dull side-up in the opposite direction to the first leaf.
- It should look like a butterfly, the four corners resembling wings.
- Repeat the spreading process so that the second leaf is covered and place the next leaf in the opposite direction once again.
- Once all the five leaves are stacked , cover it finally with more batter.
- Fold one side of the leaves down to the centre.
- Repeat for the other side so the leaves meet in the middle.
- It should form a rectangle.
- Cover with more batter.
- Starting from the short side, begin to form a tight roll.
- Ensure the roll is as tight as it can be without the batter squeezing out or the leaves breaking.
- Rub any remaining batter on the outside of the log to stick down any loose ends.
To steam the Alu Vadi
- Heat up water and place the pot in a cooker.
- Grease a dish with a few drops of oil and place it in the pot.
- Place the rolls on the dish with the sealed side facing down.
- Close the lid and steam on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool down and cut the roll into ½ in wide pieces.
To finish the Alu vadi:
- Slice the cooled Alu vadi into 1/2cm pieces using a sharp knife.
- If you prefer a lighter snack, you can eat them steamed too.
For the tampering
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds once they crackle, add asafoetida, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- Arrange the Alu vadi slices in the pan and cook on both sides until golden brown and crispy all over.
- Remove from the pan and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with masala chai.
- The most common problem with Alu Leaves, especially if they are not tender or fresh, is that it causes itching in the throat.
- Hence, a souring agent is added , Here tamarind pulp is added to the recipe.
- The leaves should be green, without any spots or bugs (turn back to check any pest infestation, while buying).
- We can use spinach leaves also when the colocasia leaves are unavailable.
- We can use grated coconut for garnish too.
- Vitamin C in 1 cup of Colocasia leaves gives you at least 86% of the daily value that your body needs.
- They are rich in Iron ,Vitamin A and contain omega 3, an essential fatty acid which provides material for hormones to control the contraction and relaxation of the arteries wall.
- Do not consume taro leaves as a raw vegetable or in their raw state.
- They should be soaked first in clean water and then cooked for at least 30 minutes.
YouCare Is All About YOU
You cannot pour from an empty cup. So build YOU first before nourishing the world. You Care is all about YOU. - Luke Coutinho
We are a team/ecosystem of highly-trained registered clinical dietitians, certified nutritionists, experienced life coaches, yoga experts, emotional counselors, skilled allopathic medical practitioners, and homeopathy doctors who adopt a 360-degree approach and combine medicine and lifestyle to transform lives. We work on holistic prevention care and recovery by emphasizing the four pillars of health — Balanced Nutrition, Adequate Exercise, Quality Sleep, and Emotional Detox.
We, humans, are products of nature. So, we thrive best when we operate within the laws and boundaries of nature. This includes the way we eat, move, sleep, think, our spiritual outlook, all of which can vary from individual to individual.
We believe in addressing the root cause and bio-individuality which respects you as a unique individual. Recovery begins when we respect medicine and focus beyond it too. We help you create the right external and internal environment that enables the intelligence of your body to kick in and contribute to prevention, recovery, and healing.
Our integrative and preventive lifestyle programs have helped hundreds of thousands manage conditions ranging from cancer, diabetes, thyroid, cardiovascular, autoimmune disorders, low immunity to other rare syndromes.
You can read the life-changing journeys and powerful testimonials of people that pour in from across the globe here.
Our team is here to help you. Be a part of our integrative wellness programs by clicking here or book a consultation to be guided in the right direction. Call us on 18001020253 or write to us at email@example.com.