Fish curry – From the fragrant and flavourful land of spices “Kerala”Priyanka Vithlani
Fish curry - From the fragrant and flavorful land of spices "Kerala"
- Earthen pot
- Stone Mortar and pestle
- 6 Medium to small sized Mullet fish locally available in kerala
- 1 medium sized coconut to make fresh coconut milk (500 ml)
- 12 -14 sprigs of curry leaves
- 8 pods of Garlic
- 2-3 green chilies silt into two
- 1 medium sized onion sliced length wise
- 4-6 Kokum/garcinia indica kodumpalli-smoked flavoured from kerala
- 2 tbsp Cold pressed coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- Coriander to garnish
- Salt to taste
How to make coconut milk?
- Grate the coconut, add it to the mixer with 1 cup of water.
- Blend it well
- Using your hands squish the coconut paste this will give the thick coconut milk. (First batch),Set aside.
- Like wise add in another cup of water to the remaining coconut making the second batch,Set aside
- Now blend the remaining left over mixture again to make the last batch of coconut milk,Set aside .
Method to make the Fish curry
- In a earthen pot add some coconut oil.
- Now add the mustard seeds ,once they splutter add the onions .
- Let it cook well, now add the garlic (hand pounded using the mortar and pestle).
- Once the onions and garlic turn golden translucent leaving an aroma add the rest of the spices and salt, add in 1/2 cup water.
- Stir it well in low flame as to avoid burning.
- Gradually add 2 tbsp of water and cook it well for 10 minutes till oil begins to separate.
- Now add the soaked kokum to the mixture amd let it boil well.
- Now add in the third batch of coconut milk.
- After a slight boil add the raw fish and cover it with a lid for 3 minutes
- Add the green chillies,curry leaves and again goes in the second batch of coconut milk.
- Stir well Don't let it boil.
- Turn off the gas.
- Now add the first thick batch of coconut milk.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve it hot with rice ,dosa, appam as per choice.
- Mullet Fish is one of the best source of protein that is easily digested and absorbed by the body
- Mullet is rich in Vitamin A ,B1 an phosphorus, chlorine, zinc, fluorine, chromiumand calcium.
- Mullet is rich in omega 3 fatty acids too .
- Kokum/garcinia indica is rich in antioxidants and the kokum peel is rich in nutrients including anthocyanins.
- Enjoy the delicious delicacy with family from our very Own Land of culture and traditions and cuisines - Kerala.
Related links for the products:Cookware :Earthern pot - https://amzn.to/2QcnSETStone Mortar and Pestle - https://amzn.to/3tzXSko (to mash garlic & 3-4 curry leaves)
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
A beauiful cury! It must taste heavenly.
Thank you Sid. I hope you and your family enjoy it 🙂