Beetroot khichdi (BEET it Up)Priyanka Vithlani
Beetroot khichdi (BEET it Up)
- Pressure cooker
- Mortar and pestle /mixer to crush the garlic
- 4 tbsp hand pounded rice soaked for 6-7 hours
- 2 tbsp moong dal soaked for 12-14 hours
- 1/2 beetroot finely chopped
- 1 garlic pod crushed or minced optional
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste optional
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing or asafoetida
- 1 tsp organic desi ghee
- 2 cups water
- Start by rinsing the soaked rice and moong dal with enough water.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add hing and then cumin seeds.
- Once it starts sizzling, add beetroot and crushed or minced garlic.
- Sauté for a minute or two.
- Drain the water from soaked rice and dal. And add to the cooker. Sauté for a minute and add 1/4 tsp salt (if using). Stir and add 2 cups of water.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it for 4-5 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the lid and serve the khichdi with some more ghee.
- Beets contain a high concentration of nitrates, which have a blood pressure-lowering effect. It also promotes better blood flow to the brain thereby improving cognitive function and possibly reduce the risk of dementia.
- Beets are a good source of fibre, which is beneficial for digestive health.
- Beetroot is a delicious and versatile vegetable that is easy to add to your diet. Choose beets that are heavy for their size with green tops still attached.
- Make a salad, hummus, juice or even a dip too and reap the wonderful benefits.
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
Thank you 🙂