Vegetable Muthiya/DumplingLuke Coutinho
For making muthiya –
- 2 cups – freshly grated pumpkin/bottle gourd (lauki/dudhi)
- ½ cup – chopped spinach/methi (as per availability)
- ½ cup – jowar/bajra flour
- 1 cup – sattu (roasted chana flour)
- 1 cup – rice flour
- ½ cup ragi flour (optional)
- 1 tbsp – ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp – sesame (til) seeds
- 1 tsp – carom(ajwain) seeds
- 2 tsp – red chilli powder
- 1 tsp – turmeric powder
- 2 tsp – coriander powder
- 1 -2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp – finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp – himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp – coconut oil
For tempering muthiya :
- 1 tbsp – cold pressed coconut oil
- 1 tsp – mustard seeds
- 1 tsp – cumin seeds
- 1 tsp – fennel seed
- 10-15 – curry leaves
- ½ tsp – asafoetida
For garnishing muthiya
- coriander leaves
- dry or fresh grated coconut
- Mix all the ingredients to make muthiya and keep it aside for 15-20 mins.
- Due to the salt, pumpkin/bottle gourd, methi /spinach – the mixture will start diffusing the water in the flour and the flour will become moist.
- Mix the ingredients to form medium-soft dough. There is no need to add water in the dough as the water diffused by pumpkin/bottle gourd, methi/spinach is enough.
- Make small muthiyas. Shape each portion into cylindrical roll (approximately 5 inches-long and 1 inch-diameter).
- Keep this muthiya in a greased plate and steam it for 20 – 30 minutes.
- You can either steam it in pressure cooker without whistle or in a pan with little water.
- You can check if muthiya is done by inserting a toothpick or fork in it. If the toothpick or fork comes out clean, its cooked.
- Let it cool for 5 mins ad transfer it to chopping board. Cut into half inch slices.
- Now heat 1 tbsp of oil for tempering. Add mustard seeds in it and when it crackles- add cumin, sesame, fennel, asafoetida and curry leaves in it.
- Sauté on medium flame for few seconds and add muthiya slices in it. Toss well and roast the slices on medium flame until it turns light brown in colour and little crispy.
- Serve hot with chutney of choice.
- Muthiyas are a non-fried Gujarati snack which is very delicious and healthy to eat.
- The whole grains in it are rich in dietary fibre, protein and iron. Sattu adds more nutrition to it.
- Pumpkin is the best source of beta carotene, while bottle gourd is high in dietary fibre, Vitamin C, riboflavin, zinc, thiamine, iron, magnesium and manganese.
- Use seasonal vegetables as per choice and availability.
- Cumin, fennel, hing and ajwain benefit the digestive system and make the snack easily digestible.
DOWNLOAD PDF: MUTHIYA
YouCare Is All About YOU
You cannot pour from an empty cup. So build YOU first before nourishing the world. You Care is all about YOU. - Luke Coutinho
We are a team/ecosystem of highly-trained registered clinical dietitians, certified nutritionists, experienced life coaches, yoga experts, emotional counselors, skilled allopathic medical practitioners, and homeopathy doctors who adopt a 360-degree approach and combine medicine and lifestyle to transform lives. We work on holistic prevention care and recovery by emphasizing the four pillars of health — Balanced Nutrition, Adequate Exercise, Quality Sleep, and Emotional Detox.
We, humans, are products of nature. So, we thrive best when we operate within the laws and boundaries of nature. This includes the way we eat, move, sleep, think, our spiritual outlook, all of which can vary from individual to individual.
We believe in addressing the root cause and bio-individuality which respects you as a unique individual. Recovery begins when we respect medicine and focus beyond it too. We help you create the right external and internal environment that enables the intelligence of your body to kick in and contribute to prevention, recovery, and healing.
Our integrative and preventive lifestyle programs have helped hundreds of thousands manage conditions ranging from cancer, diabetes, thyroid, cardiovascular, autoimmune disorders, low immunity to other rare syndromes.
You can read the life-changing journeys and powerful testimonials of people that pour in from across the globe here.
Our team is here to help you. Be a part of our integrative wellness programs by clicking here or book a consultation to be guided in the right direction. Call us on 18001020253 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.