Khichdi – What’s on my plate?Priyanka Vithlani
Khichdi – What’s on my plate?
- Pressure cooker
- 1/2 cup parboiled rice soaked for 3-4 hours
- 1/2 cup dhuli dal split moong dal soaked for 6-8 hrs. One can use a mix of chana dal, split moong dal and yellow moong dal to make it protein rich
- 2 tbsp ethically sourced organic A2 ghee
- A pinch of Ceylon cinnamon/dalchini
- 2 elaichi pods/cardamom
- 1 cloves/laung
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
- 1 inch grated ginger/adrak
- 1/2 tsp immunity powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida/hing
- half cup veggies bottle gourd, carrots, peas - any vegetables available
- salt – to taste
- 4 cups water
- Rinse and soak rice and dal for 3-4 and 6-8 hours respectively to make it more digestible and get rid of anti-nutrients.
- Heat ghee first and roast all the whole spices in it.
- Now add ginger, immunity powder and hing.
- Add the veggies.
- Add salt and water.
- Pressure cook for four whistles.
- Relish it with a dollop of ghee.
- Add salad to your plate for added fibre and raw enzymes. You can make a simple onion-tomato kachumber salad with boiled beets. Sprinkle lemon juice, rock salt and jeera powder over it.
From a pimple to cancer, our You Care Wellness Program helps you find a way
Talk to our integrative team of experts today
I’m a tad bit confused about how the rice is prepared and then incorporated into the khichdi.
Do we soak raw rice, then par boil it ?
And when do we mix it to cook with the lentils?
Thank you wanted to prepare it today.
In this recipe we soak it and then parboil it. Later add it with the lentils to the other ingredients and then cook for a couple of whistles.